This position has been filled.
Join Urban Boatbuilders and Make a Difference!
Urban Boatbuilders is looking for a talented and passionate person for a year-long AmeriCorps position.
About Urban Boatbuilders
Smell that sawdust! Walk into Urban Boatbuilders on a weekday after school, and you’ll find a loud, thriving workshop, with youth of all backgrounds working together to build beautiful, useable watercrafts from raw lumber. Our instructors work with youth five days a week to teach them invaluable hands-on skills through boatbuilding. Urban Boatbuilders empowers youth to build the skills they need to succeed in school, work, and life through the building and use of wooden boats. The organization’s programs provide experiential learning opportunities to middle and high school students and underserved teens.
Volunteer and Marketing/Outreach Coordinator
Steer the ship and harness the power of the volunteer crew to build youth, organizational capacity, and your future.
This dynamic VISTA position will build organizational capacity through volunteer management, planning and executing marketing strategy, and coordinating outreach efforts and events. The position will manage volunteer activities and ensure they have the support and resources necessary to positively impact the programs and organization. They will also plan, develop, and execute a marketing and outreach strategy, exploring new avenues for marketing programs and boat sales. The VISTA member will coordinate community events, recruit school partners, and create and manage online outreach activities.
The position begins July 28, 2016.
- Review Volunteer Program Manual and Volunteer Management Development Plan and revise as needed
- Work alongside each volunteer crew to grow understanding of activities and volunteers — Attend and Manage Wednesday Volunteer Nights
- Develop timeline and begin the execution of strategies in the Volunteer Management Development Plan
- Develop necessary volunteer orientations and trainings
- Recruit volunteers as needed for crews and events
- Analyze 2016 Volunteer Statistics
- Plan and execute annual Volunteer Appreciation Event
- Ensure systems are in place and execute tracking on 2017 volunteer activities
- Create plan and documents necessary to hand-off volunteer management activities
- Review and analyze existing marketing strategies
- Develop and execute an annual marketing plan encompassing boat sales, events, school partnerships, paddle making classes, material development and the use of Google AdWords and social media.
- Develop and distribute marketing for spring partnership programs in collaboration with partnership program manager.
- Develop and distribute marketing for spring adult paddle making classes
- Create plan and documents necessary to hand-off marketing activities
- Create and execute annual plan and calendar for outreach events and activities including: Apprentice Boat Launch, State Fair, Give to the Max Day, Minneapolis Boat Show, American Craft Council Show, North House Boat Show, etc., in collaboration with other staff
- Collaborate with apprenticeship program manager on the annual outreach plan for recruitment of apprentices
- Create plan and documents necessary to hand-off outreach activities
Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- Associate’s degree or higher in a related field preferred
- Some experience managing volunteers and working with nonprofits preferred
- Ability to work as part of a team and with a wide variety of people in all kinds of situations
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to a quickly changing environment
- Ability to pass a criminal background check if selected
Work will take place in an office attached to a boat shop which results in some sawdust and times with increased levels of moderate noise.
Compensation and Benefits
AmeriCorps VISTA members receive the following service benefits:
- Living Allowance: $11,796 for 12 months of service (paid bi-weekly)
- Education Award ($5,645) or end-of-service stipend ($1,500), upon successful completion of service
- Health benefits
- Federal student loan forbearance and interest accrual payment
- 10 day of personal leave, 10 days of sick leave and site-observed Federal holidays
- Extensive professional development opportunities (group and individual)
- Relocation (up to $1,000) and Settling-in Allowance ($550) if moving more than 50 miles to serve, where eligible
- Up to $400 per month, per child, in child care reimbursement, if eligible
Urban Boatbuilders-specific benefits:
- job-specific and general training opportunities (through UBB and VISTA cohort)
- welcoming and inclusive staff and office culture
- co-VISTA on site
- hands-on learning opportunities in professional woodshop (if desired)
- opportunity to build own voice in staff and organization trainings
- built-in support for professional development (through VISTA cohort)
- patient and willing supervisor
- potential for volunteer mentor
- understood settling-in time
- regular one-on-one meetings with supervisor
- initial one-on-one meetings with all staff and key volunteers
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Marc Hosmer at email@example.com by 5:00pm on May 12th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis prior to that date.