Become an Urban Boatbuilders Apprentice
The Apprenticeship Program:
The Urban Boatbuilders Apprenticeship Program is a job training opportunity where youth learn how to build boats, paddles and other woodworking projects with instructors and a team of peers. In addition to project-based learning, apprentices participate in offsite career exploration field trips, and workshops on resume writing, personal finance, interviewing, and goal setting.
Apprentices start at $9.50 an hour, and have opportunities to receive increases over time.
Learn more about our programs and see the apprentices in action on our facebook page.
Winter Session Schedule:
- February 13 - May 31, 2017
- Monday - Wednesday OR Wednesday - Friday
- 3:00 - 6:00 PM
- Canoeing and camping trip on the St. Croix River: June 9, 10 & 11
- After completing the 3 month program, participants have the option to continue if they pass a skills-based assessment.
- Application Priority Deadline: Friday, January 27, 2017
Summer Session Schedule:
- June 12 - August 17, 2017
- Two Crews:
- Crew A: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 12:15 PM & Thursday: 2:00 - 5:15 PM
- Crew B: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 2:00 - 5:15 PM
- Canoeing and camping trip in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota: August 21 - 25
- 10 out of 20 apprentices will be funded through Right Track St. Paul
- Apply to the YJ01 program: https://righttrack.stpaul.gov/overview/youth-jobs-01-yj01/
- Deadline: Tuesday, February 28, 2017
- The program is currently full for the summer.
- 16 - 19 years of age by the start date of the program
Be eligible for free or reduced price lunch or have a barrier to employment, including but not limited to students with IEPs, limited English proficiency, juvenile offenders and youth in diversion programs, youth with chemical dependency issues, youth in transition (currently homeless or runaway), or youth who are parenting. This is only a guideline. If you are unsure if you qualify, please apply.
Summer Application Process:
- Submit an application via Right Track St. Paul's website.
- Check your email to receive updates on your application.
- Select Urban Boatbuilders as one of your top choices.
- Check your email so we can schedule an interview.
- After the interview you will be notified if you have been hired or not.
If you have any questions, or would like to receive updates on future hiring dates, please contact the program manager, Angela Robins: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 651-644-9225.