Youth Development Boatbuilding Instructor (Apprenticeship Program)
About Urban Boatbuilders: Urban Boatbuilders is a youth development organization that uses the building of wooden boats as a vehicle to develop academic, life and work skills with at-risk youth. Our mission is "positive youth development through the building and use of wooden boats." Through our two programs, School Partnerships and Apprenticeships, we serve hundreds of youth each year and instill the values of self-confidence, perseverance, responsibility, craftsmanship, and teamwork in an effort to help youth build better futures for themselves.
Type: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Position Description: The Youth Development Boatbuilding Instructor co-leads a group of 9 high school age apprentices in boatbuilding projects. Leadership of the program requires woodworking and boatbuilding experience as well as the ability to relate to youth of all backgrounds.
Successful applicants will be able to demonstrate a commitment to engaging young people through project-based learning. As this is a 20-hours/week position, the instructor will typically work with the apprentices 9 hours a week during shoptime (3 days a week, 3:00 -- 6:00 PM) and spend the other 11 hours of the position on prep time and administrative work for the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Trains with Boatbuilding Instructors in the boat construction process
- Devises daily strategies based on current project to challenge and engage participants
- Assess and meets the needs of youth participants
- Supports the development of craftsmanship, teamwork, perseverance, and responsibility
- Facilitates regular student reflection
- Maintains a safe, respectful environment
- Teaches youth safe hand and power tool usage
- Assists and advises with construction
- Forms mentoring relationships with students
- Documents attendance and takes photos
- Assists in the evaluation of project impact
- Experience in the field of youth development
- Boatbuilding experience strongly preferred but applications with significant woodworking and hand tool experience will also be considered
- Experience working with low-income and at-risk youth a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong leadership and problem-solving skills
- Valid driver’s license and a vehicle
- Ability to pass a Child Protection Background Check upon offer of position
Urban Boatbuilders Offers:
- Compensation for work provided on an hourly basis: $16-18/hr depending on experience
- An opportunity to do meaningful work with a lasting impact on the lives of youth
There are two afterschool apprenticeship crews, and depending on your availability, hours would be either:
- Monday 2:30 – 6:00
- Tuesday 2:30 – 6:00
- Wednesday 2:30 – 6:00
- Tuesday 2:30 – 6:00
- Wendesday 2:30 – 6:00
- Thursday 2:30 – 6:00
There would be some flexibility in the remaining hours.
Please email cover letter and resume to Marc Hosmer, Executive Director at HR@urbanboatbuilders.org by August 31st.