Job Opening: Part-time Office Manager
20 hours per week (.5 FTE), Permanent
About Urban Boatbuilders
Urban Boatbuilders is a youth development nonprofit located in Saint Paul, MN. It is our mission to empower youth to succeed in work and life through woodworking and experiential learning. We serve hundreds of youth each year through our Partnership and Apprenticeship Programs. The nature of boatbuilding allows youth to develop technical skills, socioemotional skills, and a connection to their local waterways.
About the Position
The Office Manager is a 20 hour per week (.5 FTE) position that supports the organization and the Executive Director in achieving the mission of Urban Boatbuilders. This will include office management and bookkeeping, as well as administrative, fundraising, communications, and project support. In addition, this position will maintain records, provide customer service, and enter data, as well as conduct other independent projects as needed.
Responsibilities of Position
Fundraising, Communications, and Outreach
• Assist in grant proposal development and assure proposals are received by appropriate deadline.
• Process individual and corporate contributions including gift entry; process recognition correspondence.
• Accurately manage database of donors, clients, vendors, and projects.
• Assist executive director with coordinating organizational communications and participation in community outreach events.
• Manage key communications outlets including social media, e-newsletters, and website.
Office & Project Management
• Manage supplies, materials, equipment, phone system, and other technology.
• Maintain board and committee rosters and records.
• Answer telephones, e-mail, and voicemail. Manage incoming phone calls professionally and direct calls to proper staff members.
• Prepare for meetings, make photocopies, compile and distribute handouts, etc.
• Route and organize all incoming mail; determine needed response. Respond promptly.
• Keep office clean and tidy.
• Assist with filing.
• Assist with general bookkeeping and accounting by following organizational procedure:
o Set up new donors, customers, and vendors as needed.
o Post cash receipts and prepare deposit ticket.
o Receive invoices, check requests and expense reports — reviewing for completeness and compliance with organizational policy and routing for approval.
o Prepare and track invoices and accounts receivables.
o Assist in preparing monthly journal entries and financial statements.
• Assist Executive Director with administrative tasks related to employee benefits and other human resource functions.
• Other office and project work as necessary and desired.
Skills and Abilities
• An understanding of community organizing and working with peoples from diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Strong organizational and project management skills.
• Excellent communication, writing, and problem-solving skills.
• Proficient typing and computer skills.
• Friendly phone skills and customer-service orientation.
• Computer proficiency and familiarity with Microsoft Office products.
• Ability to work on special projects while completing on-going work; ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Familiarity with, or willingness to learn Squarespace and MailChimp.
• Related work or volunteer experience.
• Previous clerical and office management preferred.
• Education and/or prior experience in general accounting/bookkeeping preferred.
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Mindset and Personality
• Self-starter and self-manager: We are looking for someone who takes initiative, anticipates needs, and gets things done consistently on time.
• Responsive: We are committed to a high level of responsiveness within both our organization and community.
• Positive attitude: Our ideal candidate has a can-do spirit, is fun to be around, and does not complain, make excuses, or gossip.
• Grace and poise under pressure: At Urban Boatbuilders, there are times when things get intense. We pride ourselves on being able to function at a high level even when things get busy by working together as a team and communicating effectively.
• Commitment: Urban Boatbuilders is a mission-driven organization. Each member of our team is committed to working hard to advance the mission of the organization. We are committed to social, racial, and economic justice.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment that enhances our ability to pursue our mission and empower youth. We are committed to building an organization that fosters inclusivity and equity among members of the community. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for all positions.
The Office Manager reports to the Executive Director.
Salary for this position is $16,000 – $18,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications. Paid holidays and vacation. Flexible schedule.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Marc Hosmer at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. on Thursday, April 6th.
Your donation will help to ensure that Urban Boatbuilders is able to build more young lives.
Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowable by law.