Youth Longboard Program
Our Longboard Program is an exciting new addition to our off-site programming that offers 8 students the opportunity to craft and take home their very own fully functional longboard. Like our traditional boat building program, the longboard program encourages collaborative learning to empower youth to improve their emotional learning skills. Once the boards are built, the youth learn to ride them — giving them access to public spaces and mobility as well as a fun and exciting way to get out into the Cities and to connect with nature!
Instruction Time: 40 hours
Includes: One longboard and helmet per student
Program Cost: $5,000 (based on 8 students)*
*Program cost represents rough estimate only. Cost will vary based on class schedule and location.
- Provide youth with an engaging and empowering hands on learning experience
- Improve youth’s ability to succeed through mentor-ship and positive adult relationships
- Improve youth’s ability to learn, develop, and adapt through hands on learning
- Improve youth’s understanding of their role in local ecology and improve access to their local waterways
- Improve youth’s ability to transport themselves through the city
Learn more about our Longboard Program below, and find contract details in our
2017-18 Partnership Guide.
Interested in bringing our Longboard Program to your school, camp, or community organization? Connect with us at email@example.com. We are excited to work with you to craft a program that will empower your youth and fit with your program needs and schedule.
The curriculum for the longboard program teaches a variety of communications skills, including:
- Long-term project planning
- Collaborative learning and teamwork
- Working towards and achieving personal goals
Participants assist each other with certain technical aspects of construction, fostering teamwork and a sense of shared success. Instructors check in regularly with individual students to establish timeline goals and report on progress during the creation process.
This project uniquely allows students to engage in creative expression by giving their boards a personal touch. During the 25 hours of building instruction, students will:
- Customize the board’s shape to their own design sensibilities
- Design the boards exterior through painting and wood burning
- Apply STEM skills with the help of their instructor, from accurately measuring center-lines to calculating desired wheel base width.
After completing their boards, youth work with their instructors to learn to use their board for safe and responsible riding in 15 hours of board-use instruction. They'll learn how to:
- Use safely signals effectively
- Read and respond to traffic signs
- Follow the rules of the road.
- Care for and maintain their board for their safety and the boards longevity.
In addition, youth will complete a one-day service learning project in relation to transportation in their community.
Your donation will help to ensure that Urban Boatbuilders is able to build more young lives.
Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowable by law.