Volunteer and Communications Coordinator
Steer the ship and harness the power of the volunteer crew to build youth, organizational capacity, and your future.
This dynamic VISTA position will build organizational capacity through volunteer management, planning and executing marketing strategy, and coordinating outreach efforts and events. The position will manage volunteer activities and ensure they have the support and resources necessary to positively impact the programs and organization. They will also plan, develop, and execute a marketing and outreach strategy, exploring new avenues for marketing programs and boat sales. The VISTA member will coordinate community events, recruit school partners, and create and manage online outreach activities.
The position begins July 25, 2017.
Maintain functionality of current volunteer systems
Troubleshoot hours tracking and volunteer programming to improve volunteer experience and compliance with industry standards.
Finalize comprehensive volunteer management system to include all volunteers (including committees, administrative volunteers, and board members)
Work alongside each volunteer crew to grow understanding of activities and volunteers — Attend and manage Wednesday Volunteer Nights
Recruit volunteers as needed for crews and events
Plan and execute annual Volunteer Appreciation Event
Ensure systems are in place and execute tracking on 2017 volunteer activities
Create plan and documents necessary to hand-off volunteer management activities
Manage organizational communications through the e-newsletter, social media, website, and printed collateral.
Create compelling communications through management of organizational rebrand
- Develop communications process and framework that engages the new brand and messaging for use by staff and volunteers moving forward.
Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- Associate’s degree or higher in a related field preferred
- Some experience managing volunteers and working with nonprofits preferred
- Ability to work as part of a team and with a wide variety of people in all kinds of situations
- Ability to prioritize and adapt to a quickly changing environment
- Ability to pass a criminal background check if selected
Work will take place in an office attached to a boat shop which results in some sawdust and times with increased levels of moderate noise.
Compensation and Benefits
AmeriCorps VISTA members receive the following service benefits:
- Living Allowance: $11,848 for 12 months of service (paid bi-weekly)
- Education Award ($5,815) or end-of-service stipend ($1,500), upon successful completion of service
- Health benefits
- Federal student loan forbearance and interest accrual payment
- 10 day of personal leave, 10 days of sick leave and site-observed Federal holidays
- Extensive professional development opportunities (group and individual)
- Relocation (up to $1,000) and Settling-in Allowance ($550) if moving more than 50 miles to serve, where eligible
- Up to $400 per month, per child, in child care reimbursement, if eligible
Urban Boatbuilders-specific benefits:
- Job-specific and general training opportunities (through UBB and VISTA cohort)
- Welcoming and inclusive staff and office culture
- Co-VISTA on site
- Hands-on learning opportunities in professional woodshop (if desired)
- Opportunity to build own voice in staff and organization trainings
- Built-in support for professional development (through VISTA cohort)
- Patient and willing supervisor
- Potential for volunteer mentor
- Understood settling-in time
- Regular one-on-one meetings with supervisor
- Initial one-on-one meetings with all staff and key volunteers
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Marc Hosmer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with priority given to those filed before 5:00pm, May 1. Position open until filled.